About Me

Maybe if I stop changing my mind on what I want to be when I "grow up" I'll end up with a degree and a job! Right now, I'm about to start a new school... I have a wonderful son and awesome hubby. I am a flutist and bassoonist, music is my first love.

Saturday, August 13, 2011

A Link a Day: Amniotic-fluid embolism and medical induction of labour

Amniotic-fluid embolism and medical induction of labour
"Medical induction of labour seems to increase the risk of amniotic-fluid embolism. Although the absolute excess risk is low, women and physicians should be aware of this risk when making decisions about elective labour induction.
The overall risk of AFE is very low, it can easily fatal if not properly diagnosed. One easy way of reducing the risk is to avoid unnecessary inductions. According to this study, the risk of AFE was DOUBLED when the mother was induced.

Unnecessary, convient, scheduled, and (more common than you might think) induction proceedures used DURING labor (which my "doctor" ordered for me but I refused, and consented to by a friend of mine during her labor) can be harmful and even fatal to the mother or baby. Babies need to cook as long as is healthy for them and their mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment