About Me

Maybe if I stop changing my mind on what I want to be when I "grow up" I'll end up with a degree and a job! Right now, I'm about to start a new school... I have a wonderful son and awesome hubby. I am a flutist and bassoonist, music is my first love.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A Link a Day: Hospital Support for Breastfeeding

Hospital Support for Breastfeeding
"Babies who are fed formula and stop breastfeeding early have higher risks of obesity, diabetes, respiratory and ear infections, and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), and tend to require more doctor visits, hospitalizations, and prescriptions."
 Only 4% of our nation's hospitals are considered baby-friendly as described by the World Health Organization and UNICEF. This is terrible. There is so much information available about the risks of exclusive formula feeding, yet those in positions to help new mothers the most, seem to be ignorant of them. Or worse yet, do nothing with such information because maybe it would be inconvenient to change hospital policy and practices. In a country where most of our births happen in hospitals, it is up to them to educate mothers and to realize that every baby deserves the best food for him-- his mother's milk. It is awesome when a mother can be an advocate for her baby and speak up about unnecessary pacifiers and supplements. Unfortunately, not all women, maybe most women, are not convicted, or brave, or outspoken enough to speak up to hospital staff. The doctors and nurses are supposed to know and do what's best for babies, why is it that we as mothers, cannot put our full faith in them?

No comments:

Post a Comment