About Me

Maybe if I stop changing my mind on what I want to be when I "grow up" I'll end up with a degree and a job! Right now, I'm about to start a new school... I have a wonderful son and awesome hubby. I am a flutist and bassoonist, music is my first love.

Monday, August 8, 2011

A Link a Day: The Business Case for Breastfeeding

I'm starting a new series about pregnancy, birth, and childcare. Everyday I will post an interesting link about one of these topics, and include my thoughts on the subject. Here's the first one:

The business case for breastfeeding
"...one-day absences to care for sick children occur more than twice as much for women who formula-feed their children." 
This is really a no-brainer. Healthy kids and healthy moms means more productive employees, and lower health care costs. Finally, following California's lead, our federal government has extended the right to pump milk at work to most American women. This is a huge step forward culturally for our nation. Not only is it healthier for moms and babies, but it is a step that will help change our mindset. It will be a relief for women who have grudgingly had to choose between nursing their baby and returning to work. I am grateful that not only is my employer accomodating for my needs, but that if necessary, I can quote federal law to back me up.

No comments:

Post a Comment