About Me

Maybe if I stop changing my mind on what I want to be when I "grow up" I'll end up with a degree and a job! Right now, I'm about to start a new school... I have a wonderful son and awesome hubby. I am a flutist and bassoonist, music is my first love.

Wednesday, August 24, 2011

A Link a Day: LactMed

LactMed Search
"A peer-reviewed and fully referenced database of drugs to which breastfeeding mothers may be exposed. Among the data included are maternal and infant levels of drugs, possible effects on breastfed infants and on lactation, and alternate drugs to consider
From the United States Medical Library's Toxnet (Toxicology Data Network), LactMed is a resource I feel every lactating woman and medical professional needs to have on hand.

It lets you easily search for a particular drug, like 'amoxicillin', or even a keyword, like 'antibiotics.' The results will give you detailed information about the effects and potential side effects of medications on the breastfed baby.

I cannot tell you how valuable this is. In our culture, at least in my neck of the woods, breastfeeding is not considered the "norm." I was even advised by a dentist to find out from my pediatrician which medications I could take while breastfeeding. In my opinion, it's the prescribing doctor's responsibility to know the safety of all medications prescribed to his/her patient and her baby. The next time I needed a prescription, I knew better. I pulled out my phone and looked up the drug right there at the office. It turns out that the drug he chose was not the best option, and I was able to get a different prescription before I even left his office. I made sure to give him the link.

No comments:

Post a Comment